Why is it my go to drill?
- Fixes sinking hips
- Connects your breathing to floating
- Teaches you to relax
- Teaches you not to fight the water
Here’s a Balance Drill Check List to check yourself against:
- Laying face down in the water
- Arms should be extended out in front of you in the “Number 11 Position”
- Legs should be extended out behind you
- Head and neck into a natural position
- Make your body as long as you can
- Kick across the pool maintaining your body position
- When you need to breathe raise your head (so only your mouth comes out the water) breath in through your mouth and place your head back down in the water.
- Allow your hips to sink on the breath, then feel them float back up to the surface as quickly as possible after you head goes back down.
Things To Focus On:
- Float as high as you can in the water
- Keep your head, hips and heels all in one straight line with each other.
- Keep the kick light and just strong enough to keep you moving forward
- Don’t rush through the length