Understand Why We Do The Drill, :
- Teaches you to use your forearm and wrist as part of your pulling paddle
- Teaches you to keep an open armpit and a high elbow through the pull
- Helps you repeatedly feel the catch phase of the stroke on your forearm and wrist
How To Do It:
- Swim freestyle with a slight twist on your hand position as it moves through the arm cycle.
- Instead of holding your hand open as you normally would, close your hand into a fist.
- This forces your body to feel and hold water on your forearms
- When you are able to utilize your forearms as part of your paddle you will move a whole lot more water backwards which will move you forwards much faster.
Things To Focus On:
- Really focus on your forearm as you do this drill. Try to find as much connection and pressure on the water as you possibly can.
- Make sure you are feeling the pressure on your arm as you push water back towards your feet!
- Close your fists tight
- Extend forward each time you enter the water