Understand Why We Do The Drill, :
- Teaches you the difference between a “high” elbow and a “dropped” elbow
- Helps reinforce the movement pattern you should initiate for a good catch
How To Do It:
- Stand in the water facing the edge of the pool with one hand resting at your side and the other hand extended out in front of you with your hand flat on the pool deck.
- Keeping your hand on the deck, and your shoulder as still as possible, try to rotate your elbow up towards the sky.
- Hold this high elbow position for 2-3 seconds and then relax. Repeat this rotation process multiple times until you begin to feel the difference between a dropped and high elbow.
Things To Focus On:
- Start slow and don’t force the process – this is a fine motor skill that requires the coordination of small muscle movements.
- Isolate your elbow while the rest of your arm stays as still as possible.
- Keep your shoulder relaxed – don’t shrug it up to your ear!
, More Catch & Pull Drills For You: