Understand Why We Do The Drill, :
- Teaches you to extend without dropping the elbow
- Teaches you to reach from the lats and hips
- Teaches you to keep an open armpit and a high elbow through the pull
- Helps you repeatedly feel the catch phase of the stroke
How To Do It:
- Human stroke is a freestyle stroke with an underwater recovery.
- Similar to doggy paddle, but with a long reach, extend, catch and push through to the finish as you would in a normal freestyle stroke
- Stretch forward until you feel your hip start to roll slightly
- When it has reached as far as it can, drop your hand and fingers down and push water backward to your feet using your hand, wrist and forearm.
- Finish the pull to your hip, then keeping your hand underwater return it to the stretched out Number 11 position as you pull back with the opposite arm.
- Breathe as you would in the freestyle stroke
Things To Focus On:
- Use the rotation of your hips to help drive you forward with each pull
- Use your hand, wrist AND forearm to push water backwards
- Reach and extend fully each time you stretch forward
- Think power not turnover!
, More Catch & Pull Drills For You: